On Monday I checked out the Easter section at Target to scope out any after-holiday clearance deals. Mostly I was just looking for backup plastic eggs for kibble hunts (which I did find for 50% off), but I also came across a 50% off bunny silicone mold. It was just the thing that I needed to finally make Athena a batch of frozen dog treats that I'd been eyeing on Pinterest. After looking at a couple of different recipes, I flung some different ingredients together to create these Triple Berry & Banana Frozen Yogurt Treats with Flaxseed.
Here's the recipe:
- 8-10 oz plain non-fat greek yogurt (I used Fage Total 0%)
- 1 banana
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh berries (I used strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- 1 tsp flaxseed meal (a great source of omega-3's for doggies!)
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender (I used a Magic Bullet)
- Pour mixture into a silicone mold, ice cube tray, cupcake liners, paper cups, or anything that you'd like!
- Freeze for at least 2 hours
- Serve to your four-legged friend!
|Pouring the mixture into a silicone mold|
|All ready for the freezer!|
|Once frozen, I popped the bunnies out the mold and stored them in a freezer bag|
As much as Athena loves the store-bought frozen treats like Frosty Paws, they don't love her so much (if you know what I mean). I love how easy it is to make her these cool berry treat and I love that I know exactly what's in them.
There are a ton of other great frozen treat recipes on Pinterest. Here are a few that I found that I want to try out next: