Yesterday was a perfect cloudy Portland day to stay inside and make homemade sweet potato dog chews for Athena. I've been lusting over a few recipes for these on Pinterest, so it was about time that I made a batch. Not to mention that I always contemplate buying a bag of store-bought sweet potato chews whenever I see them, but I end up passing them by because a) why spend money when I can make them for super cheap and b) if I make them myself, I will know 100% what's in them.
My recipe for these dog chews was inspired by a few pins on my Pinterest Dog Recipes board including this one, this one, and this one.
Here's what I did to make these tasty (and healthy!) treats:
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
How to Make Em':
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a cookie sheet by lightly coating it with olive oil
- Wash the potatoes and then thinly slice them into rounds (I tried to slice mine to be about 1/4-1/2 inch thick). You could use a mandolin or food processor for this step to make the slices the same thickness, however I don't think that Athena minds that mine weren't perfect =)
4. Lay out your round potato slices onto the cookie sheet. It's OK if the slices touch, but try not to overlap them.
5. Bake for 4-5 hours (depending on if you want chewy or crunchy chews). Flip the potatoes every hour. Because mine weren't perfectly sliced, I got the best of both worlds (chewy and crunchy).
6. Remove the chews from the oven and let cool.
7. Feed them to your dog as a delicious snack or tummy soother!
|Staring at the deliciousness would be just too much to bear!|
Have you ever made any dehydrated dog chews (in a fancy dehydrator or in the oven)? How did your dog like them?
Check out these Pinterest inspired Peanut Butter Dog Treats that I also made