Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pinterest Inspiration: Triple Berry and Banana Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats

Clearly I had a lot of time on my hands during spring break.  With the Baby Pickin' GameKibble Egg Hunt, a trip to the beach, and Easter, Athena was a very busy (and tired) girl last week.  Here I am again with another DIY project all for Athena.


On Monday I checked out the Easter section at Target to scope out any after-holiday clearance deals.  Mostly I was just looking for backup plastic eggs for kibble hunts (which I did find for 50% off), but I also came across a 50% off bunny silicone mold.  It was just the thing that I needed to finally make Athena a batch of frozen dog treats that I'd been eyeing on Pinterest.  After looking at a couple of different recipes, I flung some different ingredients together to create these Triple Berry & Banana Frozen Yogurt Treats with Flaxseed.


Here's the recipe:

  • 8-10 oz plain non-fat greek yogurt (I used Fage Total 0%)
  • 1 banana
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh berries (I used strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
  • 1 tsp flaxseed meal (a great source of omega-3's for doggies!)

Instructions:

  • Blend all ingredients together in a blender (I used a Magic Bullet)
  • Pour mixture into a silicone mold, ice cube tray, cupcake liners, paper cups, or anything that you'd like!
  • Freeze for at least 2 hours
  • Serve to your four-legged friend!


Pouring the mixture into a silicone mold


All ready for the freezer!

Once frozen, I popped the bunnies out the mold and stored them in a freezer bag

As much as Athena loves the store-bought frozen treats like Frosty Paws, they don't love her so much (if you know what I mean).  I love how easy it is to make her these cool berry treat and I love that I know exactly what's in them.


There are a ton of other great frozen treat recipes on Pinterest.  Here are a few that I found that I want to try out next:


Does your dog love frozen treats?  Have you ever made your own at home?

9 comments:

  1. Mmm...those look awesome! They're actually making me kinda hungry...

    We've done Frosty Paws for Tess (she can eat anything), but we've never tried em with Edison. Ed loves, loves ice, so I can just throw him a few cubes and he's a happy boy.

    I've also been wanting to try (this summer when it's extra hot out) freezing some treats into a block and setting it out for the pooches when we're playing in the yard.

    But, I looove this idea and am totally going to have to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the frozen block of ice with treats/toys in the summer too! I'm always eyeing that on Pinterest!

      Delete
  2. These look so good! I tried making ice cream for the pups once (but it didn't look as nice as yours!). We are filing this in our must-make file!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like something I would want to eat too! I am definitely going to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I am definitely going to try this. I guess I need to get a blender first...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great idea. When Ray had a tummy ache I made some chamomile tea and froze it into cubes for him which he loved. He actually loves any kind of ice. Last summer I make a huge block of ice out of a gallon ice cream tub. I had toys and veggies in it and he absolutely went crazy for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo... the tea cubes sound awesome - for me! Whould be so delish in a glass of water

      Delete
  6. Those look awesome. I bet it would be good in a frozen kong, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frozen dog treats are a daily thing at the house! I use the silicone trays from Ikea in different shapes. Anything gets mixed together--usually 3-4 ingredients that may include anything from peas, sweet potatoes, beans, carrots, kale, parsley, blueberries, plain greek yogurt, coconut oil, bananas, apples, berries etc. Sometimes I throw a few of the little cubes into their Kongs for the day while we are out. We've tried flax a little, but not too much yet, I need a spice blender so I can get the flax ground up better as it's better served.
    Cute treats for such a cute pup!

    ReplyDelete