That's right. I made Miss Athena a big yummy batch of homemade piña colada frozen dog treats that I found the recipe for on Pinterest. Now, not only has my cellphone ringtone been Escape by Rupert Holmes for as long as I can remember (you know, "if you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain..."), but I also had a pineapple on hand so OF COURSE I knew that I just had to make some of these delightful frozen goodies.
I got these coolio ice cube trays with tiki man faces at the Dolla' Tree for only one dolla'! I knew they would be the perfect shape for these pineapple and coconut island treats.
Here's the recipe:
- 1/3 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 T honey
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 T hardened coconut oil or coconut flakes
- Blend the pineapple and yogurt together in a blender (I used a Magic Bullet)
- Pour mixture into a silicone mold, ice cube tray, cupcake liners, paper cups, or anything that you'd like (I used my tiki man trays)!
- Drizzle honey over the top of the pineapple yogurt mixture and the sprinkle on some hardened coconut oil or coconut flakes (I simply got out my jar of coconut oil and instead of heating it up, I just used a spoon to scrape off small pieces off of the top to sprinkle on the treats)
- Freeze for at least 2 hours
- Serve to your four-legged friend!
Athena thought these treats were totally DELISH!
There are a ton of other great frozen treat recipes on Pinterest that I still have yet to try. Here are a couple that I found that I can't wait to test out this summer:
Frozen Berry Water Treats
BananaBerry Appsicle Treats
Athena also loves our trusty triple berry and banana frozen treats that I make for her often. What are your dog's favorite frozen treats?